Caring for Your Laminate Floors
Before you tackle caring for your new laminate flooring, it’s important to understand the elements that make up your new floor. Some of today’s newer laminate flooring includes waterproof finishes, but most do not so your care and maintenance routine must comply with the manufacturer’s guidelines.
For example, Shaw laminate flooring includes wood, so you should never use excessive moisture or a non-approved cleaning solution while caring for their laminate flooring.
At Flooring By Design, we recommend the following care and maintenance routine for your new laminate floors:
- Daily care and maintenance of your laminate flooring could include sweeping, dry moping or vacuuming with a hard surface flooring attachment.
- Blot and dry any liquid spills as quickly as possible to avoid warping. Most common household messes like spills and soil should wipe or sweep away clean.
Tile Care and Maintenance Tips
Laminate floors are tough but they are not all created equal! Some laminate flooring includes waterproof finishes, but others do not so make sure to carefully follow guidelines and direction from the manufacturer.
- Daily care and maintenance of your laminate flooring may include sweeping, dry mopping or vacuuming with a hard surface flooring attachment. Most other messes can simply be wiped away with a damp cloth. Spills should be wiped up quickly to avoid warping.
- For a deeper clean, use a manufacturer approved hard floor cleaner as needed.
- Strategically place doormats at the entry to the rooms to capture any dirt or debris before it is tracked onto your floor. Also, protect your floor form indentations by placing floor protectors under heavy furniture and appliances. Avoid dragging anything across the floor that will scratch or damage the laminate
- When it comes to difficult stains such as candle wax and chewing gum, or oil based stains like lipstick and olive oil, consult with the manufacturer’s guidelines for cleaning these types of messes.
Additional Laminate Resources
Below is a list of additional care and maintenance tips plus stain removal resources to help keep your laminate flooring looking beautiful: